Not exactly outcomes assessment, but often part of assessing program effectiveness — and some faculty members’ primary association to the term “student assessment.”
- Auburn University’s use of the University of Washington’s IAS.
- Bluefield State College’s information for students about its online student evaluation of faculty.
- Boise State University’s information for faculty about the online CoursEval system. Access to CoursEval is restricted to BSU students, faculty & staff.
- Brigham Young University’s Online Student Ratings.
- Additional information and resources for faculty include a copy of the form & a FAQ. The guidelines for interpreting the report are a Word document.
- Reports and system management are restricted to BYU faculty & staff.
- California Lutheran University’s online CoursEval system (html pages, pdf & Powerpoint files, Word documents). Access to CoursEval itself is restricted to CLU students, faculty, & staff.
- Cameron University, using the IDEA Center’s SRI. Course evaluation surveys in the lefthand menu takes you to the IDEA Center’s home page.
- Information for students about California Baptist University’s online course evaluations.
- California State University, San Marcos. FAQ, sample evaluation forms for various types of courses (pdf files), and (Word documents) instructions and an overview of evaluation reports.
- Columbia College Chicago’s Student Course Evaluation questions, information about the online Assessment Manager system, an FAQ for faculty, research (pdf files) about student evaluations in general and on CCC’s own data, and information for faculty about adding items to their evaluations & viewing result (results & adding items are restricted to CCC faculty & staff).
- Course evaluations from Duke University’s Trinity College of Arts & Sciences (pdf & Powerpoint files, html pages).
- East Carolina University’s Survey of Student Opinion of Instruction (SSOI) includes versions for various course formats. The instructions, sample forms, and report examples are pdf files.
- Florida Atlantic University’s Student Perception of Teaching (SPOT, online as of Sprking 2014). Aggregate results campus-wide or by college or department, for each SPOT question, and individual results by faculty name or course number.
- Florida State University System Student Assessment of Instruction (SAI).
- Florida International University‘s information about the SAI. Policies, and guide to interpreting results. Results for the 8 questions used by the statewide university system are available by instructor, course, and department. Other results are available to FIU faculty and administrators.
- Georgia Institute of Technology’s online Course Instructor Opinion Survey (CIOS) and Teaching Assistant Opinion Survey (TAOS). Information about the surveys, survey items, and (pdf files) campus- & college-level normative (summary) CIOS data. GT students, faculty and staff can view more detailed results online.
- Grinnell College’s End-of-Course Ratings. Information about GC rating forms and process. pdf files of campus-wide results and research on GC’s ratings.
- Hong Kong University’s Centralised Online System for Student Evaluation of Teaching (COSSET). See the report from their pilot year.
- Houghton College, using the IDEA Center’s SRI. The page includes links to a number of IDEA documents about the SRI, Houghton’s own added questions, and college-level summary results
(mostly pdf files).
- Jacksonville State University, IDEA reports Fall 2012 through Fall 2015.
- Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public Health: Brief information about the online evaluation process. Results for individual courses & instructors are restricted to BSPH faculty & staff.
The course database has information about courses, not their evaluation results.
- Course Ratings at Kansas State University: Information about the Individual Development and Educational Assessment (IDEA) and TEVAL student rating systems. TEVAL has an online version. The IDEA Center’s SRI is available for use at other institutions in both paper and online versions.
- Macalester College, using the IDEA Center’s SRI. Resources and sample forms & reports are pdf files.
- North Carolina State University’s ClassEval online course evaluation system. The site includes information for students and background and procedural details for faculty. Reports are restricted to NC State faculty & staff.
- Oregon State University’s Electronic Student Evaluation of Teaching (eSET) online course evaluation system. Calendar, university-wide questions, and information for students, faculty, & staff including descriptions of reports (the reports themselves are not available from this site).
- Penn State University’s Student Rating of Teaching Effectiveness (SRTE) is available as pencil-&-paper forms or online. SRTE results & reports are restricted to Penn State faculty & staff.
- Information for students and faculty about Purdue University’s online Course Evaluation. Access to CoursEval surveys is restricted to Purdue students, faculty, & staff.
- Most forms of St. Petersburg College’s Student Survey of Instruction (SSI) are administered online (html & pdf files, Word documents).
The results database is restricted to SPC faculty & staff.
- Southeastern Louisiana University’s Student Opinion of Teaching (SOT). In this pdf file, note
- the guidelines for analyzing narrative comments and for department heads’ use of narrative comments, and
- the form faculty can use to report factors that might influence their SOT results in a particular class.
- St. John’s University’s online Student Course Evaluations (SCE). Scroll down to the list of surveys and select Student Course Evaluation for an FAQ for students, a brief overview for faculty, and (pdf files) university & college-level summaries.
- SUNY Fredonia’s online course evaluation. Resources include an example of the instrument and tips for faculty. Access to Digital Measures and to the online instrument itself are restricted to Fredonia faculty, staff, or students.)
- Syracuse University’s information for faculty about using student ratings of teaching effectiveness and about Syracuse’s online and paper student-ratings processes.
- Tennessee Tech University’s requirements and information on using the IDEA Center’s SRI., and (pdf file) campus-wide and department summaries.
- About Texas A&M’s online Personalized Instructor/Course Appraisal (PICA). Guest login lets you see examples of the online form (the alias and password are both guest).
- Towson University’s Course Evaluation Online System (TCEO) with information for faculty & students (pdf files).
- University of Arizona’s Teacher-Course Evaluation (TCE). Paper and online versions are available. Ratings for individual courses and instructors are available to UA students, faculty, and staff.
- University of California San Diego’s CAPE online evaluation system is managed by a student organization. Results are available for individual courses & instructors.
- University of California – Santa Barbara’s Evaluation System for Courses and Instruction (ESCI).
- University of Colorado-Boulder’s Faculty Course Questionnaire (FCQ). Includes results by section and instructor.
- University of Denver’s online Course Evaluation. Summer 2016 begin using SmartEvals.
- University of Hawai’i’s eCAFE online course evaluation system. FAQs for students, faculty, & staff. Published results for some faculty members are available.
- University of Massachusetts Amherst’s Student Response to Instruction (SRTI), with instructions and interpretive guides (mostly pdf files).
- University of Maryland’s online Course Evaluations. History of the project, FAQ, and fast facts about the process for students and for faculty.
- University of Missouri’s Course Evaluation has forms for various course structures. Guides are pdf files.
- Information about the University of Nevada, Reno’s ongoing pilot of an online course evaluation.
- University of New Hampshire’s Student Evaluation of Teaching. Policies & instructions (pdf files; results are restricted to UNH faculty & staff). In the campus-wide summaries, scroll over the question numbers to see the question text.
- University of North Dakota’s University Student Assessment of Teaching (USAT). Form, instructions, campus summaries, and sample course reports (pdf files).
- University of North Florida’s Instructional Satisfaction Questionnaire (ISQ). The ISQ form and instructions are pdf files. Campus summaries and some individual course/instructor results are available online (see public ISQs); other results are restricted to UNF faculty & staff.
- University of Saskatchewan’s Students’ Evaluation of Educational Quality (SEEQ). Sample instruments, and FAQ & resources for using the SEEQ (pdf files).
- University of Southern Indiana’s Course Evaluations. Course evaluation methods describes paper and online versions.
- University of Southern Maine’s online Electronic Course Evaluation (ECE) instrument & procedures (pdf files).
- University of Texas at Arlington’s online Student Feedback Survey (SFS) instrument, and a special version for laboratory courses (pdf files). Information for students, faculty, & staff. Includes results by instruction & section.
- University of Texas at Austin’s Course Instructor Survey (CIS). Information for faculty and for students. Results are available to UT students, faculty, and staff.
- University of Washington’s Instructional Assessment System (IASystem) [link: http://iasystem.org/] provides both online and paper-based evaluations and is used by institutions across the United States.
- University of Wisconsin-Green Bay’s Course Comments Questionnaire (CCQ), with university-wide results. (The cover sheet is a Word document.)
- Villanova University’s Course and Teacher Survey (CATS; mostly pdf files). Reports are restricted to VU faculty & staff.
- Washington State University’s guides for using their online survey system for course evaluations, and an overview of a planned test with Explorance’s Blue Evaluation system. Access to the Skylight survey system is restricted to WSU students, faculty, & staff.
- Western Carolina University’s online CoursEval system (Word documents, pdf files). The CoursEval system itself is restricted to WCU students, faculty & staff.
- Western Michigan University’s online Instructor and Course Evaluation System (ICES). Procedure, core questions, FAQs, research on response rates (mostly pdf files).
- West Liberty University’s information for faculty includes course evaluation policy, the evaluation form, and sample reports (pdf files).
- Whitman College’s Online Course Evaluations. Access to the system is restricted to Whitman students, faculty, & staff.
- United States Military Academy (West Point): Online course-end feedback system. Overview, USMA (all-courses) items, question-bank for course & department items. Also see USMA’s system for interim course feedback.
In the ASSESS discussion-list archive, see the
- May 2009 thread on using Written comments from students
about a faculty member, initiated by Susan King.
- December 2009 threads Student Evaluation of Courses: A controversial policy, initiated by Jonathan Keiser, and Timing of Student Evaluation of Faculty, initiated by Michelle Miller.
- January 2010 threads Incentives and Motivators to Complete Class Evaluations and Class Evaluation Incentive Strategies – Your Responses, initiated by Jean Gomes. The responses post includes a Word document of on- and off-list responses to the question.
- January 2010 thread Student Evaluations of Faculty in Online Courses, initiated by Arnold Gelfman.
- October 2011 thread Evaluation of Faculty Teaching, initiated by Jeremy Penn. The thread deals mainly with non-student methods such as peer review.
- December 2011 thread student evaluations, initiated by Susan Warner.
- January 2012 threads an outside putting in his 2 cents, initiated by Lenny Shedletsky, and Re:
[ASSESS:] putting in his 2 cents/student evaluations.
- August 2012 thread Using IDEA for tenure and promotion, initiated by Susan Warner.
- November 2012 thread Course Evaluations and Extreme Scores, initiated by Dan McCollum.
- July 2013 thread Course evaluation inter-rater reliability, initiated by David Eubanks.
- September 2013 thread course evaluation data, initiated by Adrienne McCormick.
- November 2013 thread Reliability of Course Evaluations, initiated by Karman Wheeler.
- March 2015 thread Handling Scathing Student Evaluations of Teachers initiated by Michael Davison
- November 2015 thread Student Evaluation of Instruction, initiated by Diane Taylor.
- November 2015 thread ‘Required’ Course Evaluations, initiated by Susan King.
Summaries of research on student assessment of courses and faculty
- Papers from the IDEA Center (pdf files).
- Wode & Keiser’s review of literature about online evaluations includes a summary of general findings about student evaluations.
- Resources & articles from the Teaching Support Centre at Western University (Ontario).
- Use this link for the AERA symposium Valid Faculty Evaluation Data: Are there Any? (pdf file).
- Abstracts of the articles from the International Journal of Educational Research and the International Journal for Academic Development are available online. Pdf files of the full articles are available for purchase.
- Student Ratings: Myths vs Research Evidence: Vanderbilt University, Center for Teaching.
- Student Ratings Offer Useful Input to Teacher Evaluations: Michael Scriven, Center for Research on Educational Accountability and Teacher Evaluation. Summary of supports for and threats to student evaluations’ validity.
- The 2005 report of the University of Colorado-Boulder Chancellor’s Advisory Council on the FCQ includes extensive discussion of the research literature and its implications for the FCQ process.
- What Do They Know Anyway? Richard Felder, North Carolina State University.
- Russell Hunt’s list of Resources on Student Evaluations of Teaching includes web links as well as references to hardcopy articles. (This is a 2002 report; some links are out of date.)
- From Brigham Young University’s Center for Teaching
- Chronicle of Higher Education articles
- Student Evaluations: Feared, Loathed, and Not Going Anywhere. May 20, 2015, edition.
- Flawed Evaluations. June 10, 2015, edition.