Ethical Standards for Assessment
(Some of these are from a January 2002 Assess-L discussion. Thanks to Suzanne Garrison at Meredith College for initiating this thread.)
- AIR’s Code of Ethics includes sections that are relevant to assessment as well as to other institutional research activities. See especially Sections II (Practice) and III (Confidentiality).
- Ethical Standards of the AERA (American Educational Research Association, available for purchase).
- Code of Fair Testing Practices in Education, from the Joint Committee on Testing Practices.
- Position statement on writing assessment, from the Conference on College Composition and Communication.
- In the ASSESS discussion-list archive, see the October 2011 thread Asmt Ethics, initiated by Joan Hawthorne, and the related post Further Consideration Regarding Assessment Ethics. The main thread includes discussions of ethical standards for assessment and how institutional review boards (IRBs) deal with assessment activities.