Many of the individual institutions assessment-related pages (below) include discipline-specific assessment plans. Also see the examples by specific disciplines in lists of assessment resources from the College of Wooster, Florida Atlantic University, Indiana University-Purdue University Fort Wayne, Kutztown University, the National Institute for Learning Outcomes Assessment (NILOA), St. Cloud State University, Stephen F. Austin State University, the University at Albany, and the University of North Carolina at Wilmington. (You may need to scroll down on some of these pages to get to the resources by discipline.) Also see the Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education’s (UK) benchmark statements of outcomes & competencies in various areas (select assuring standards and quality, then subject guidance).
In the ASSESS discussion-list archive, see the February-March 2014 thread What Should Students Know?, initiated by Neil Patel.
Nationally-Standardized Assessments of Undergraduate Majors
- The area subsections, below, include standardized tests from discipline-related organizations in chemistry, engineering, languages, and teacher education.
- Area Concentration Achievement Tests (ACAT).
- Major Field Tests (MFT) from ETS.
Experiential Learning (Outside the Academic Environment)
- Prior Learning Assessment Services from the Council for Adult and Experiential Learning (CAEL).
SmarterMeasure Learning Readiness Indicator
- Evaluate skills, knowledge, & characteristics associated with success in online learning.
- Previously known as READI (Readiness for Education at a Distance Indicator).
- From SmarterServices.
- In the ASSESS discussion-list archive, see the January 2012 thread Assessment in Study Abroad, initiated by William Knight. Online resources mentioned in this thread include:
- The Forum on Education Abroad’s resources with reviews of research on assessment, a guide to outcomes assessment that is available for purchase (click the publications link), and other assessment resources available to Forum members in the standards toolbox.
- The Center for Global Education’s searchable annotated bibliographies include references & abstracts of assessment research. (Search for entries with outcomes in their titles.)
- In the ASSESS discussion-list archive, see the
- August 2015 thread Alternatives to CIRP?, initiated by Elizabeth Smith.
- October 2015 thread Religious/Spiritual Assesment, initiated by Chad Briggs.
- October 2015 thread Religious/Spiritual Assessment, initiated by Pamela Shefman.
- October 2015 thread Religious/Spiritual Assessment, initiated by Rebecca Hong.
- Interfaith Diversity Experiences and Attitudes Longitudinal Survey (IDEALS) from the Interfaith Youth Corps.
- Spiritual Transformation Inventory
- Taylor University Center for Christian Engagement
STEM Disciplines (Science, Technology, Engineering, & Mathematics)
- In the ASSESS discussion-list archive, see the
- October 2009 thread Assessing Gen Ed Science Outcome, initiated by Jill Hirt.
- September 2015 thread Assessment of Math Learning Center, initiated by Min Su.
- October 2015 thread Public Speaking Rubric, initiated by Margot Saltonstall.
- October 2015 thread STEM non-cog assessment, initiated by Jessica Jacovidis.
- October 2015 thread STEM non-cog assessment, initiated by Elizabeth Whiteman.
- Assessment of Student Learning in College Mathematics: Towards Improved Programs and Courses, published jointly by AIR and MAA. Part of AIR’s series on assessment in the disciplines.
- Assessment in Mathematics Teaching
- Focus is K-12 but some information, methods, references/links are appropriate for college-level courses.
- From The Math Forum at Drexel University.
- Assessment Practices in Undergraduate Mathematics
- Examples & guidelines for assessment of student learning, from the Mathematical Association of America (pdf file).
- The companion volume Supporting Assessment in Undergraduate Mathematics is also available as a pdf file. (The earlier description of this book available here has an incorrect link for the pdf file.)
- Concept Inventories for STEM Disciplines
- See Engineering, above.
- Evaluating and Improving Undergraduate Teaching in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics
- Literature review from the National Research Council’s Committee on Recognizing, Evaluating, Rewarding, and Developing Excellence in Teaching of Undergraduate Science, Mathematics, Engineering, and Technology.
- Available for purchase, pdf download, or to read online (see Read).
- A Field-Tested Learning Assessment Guide (FLAG) for Science, Math, Engineering, and Technology Faculty.
- Quantitative reasoning and scientific reasoning tests from Madison Assessment.
- Rubrics for Scientific Reasoning &/or Scientific Literacy
- In the ASSESS discussion-list archive, see the July 2009 thread Rubrics for Scientific Reasoning/Literacy, initiated by Kathryne Drezek.
- STEM-related surveys and assessment tools
- Harvard University’s PEAR (Program in Education, Afterschool, and Resiliency)
Technology-Assisted Teaching & Learning
- Technology Assessment Resources, from NC State University, has annotated links to other resources on assessing the impact of technology on student learning.
- APLU, AASSCU, and AACC
- Post-Collegiate Outcomes Initiative
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Reviews in the Chronicle and InsideHigherEd